Thursday, November 17, 2011

Recycle EVIL Bags

I find plastic shopping bags to be abhorrent creations.  Convenience always seems to "trump" responsibility in this world anymore.  I find nothing more depressing than seeing one of these bags caught on a bare tree branch in the Fall.  Last year, one blew WAY UP high (like 50-60 feet) and got caught in the upper branches of a tall Oak tree behind my property.  I got to listen to it flapping and creating horrible noise all Winter long when the wind blew.  In fact, the first time I heard it was at nighttime, in the pitch dark, while standing on my back deck.  It scared the "be-jesus" outta me.  I thought some alien creature was swooping down upon my head.



I was so happy to see a responsible vendor, Weis, a grocery store chain, promoting this clever phrase on their bag - "Unmistakably Recyclable".  Hopefully it helps bring awareness to a few people who have yet to start recycling these suckers.

Speaking of recycling, I was getting ready to empty the contents of my paper shredder and thought of how great these paper shreds would be for holiday packing and shipping material.  I even began clumping it together in my hand, forming balls.  I began thinking of snowballs.  Hmmm, a potential, creative, holiday project may ensue.

Future Holiday Ornament Material?

So in light of all the "green" awareness lately, please recycle your plastic bags.  There are drop-off locations at most major department and grocery stores . . . (aka the source of the problem)

Oh and I forgot to mention, I got this bag as a "recycled" one when I bought a few items at the local thrift store recently.  At least they are being recycled in that manner (reused).

2 comments:

  1. Great idea for shredded paper, packing material, good idea for another recycling option. Never would have thought of that! Also comenting on the burlap bag usage. I have a Vintage Bag from our local feed store, you've given me some ideas, I'll have to dig it out & display its vintage qualities..thanks for your work. Love to follow all the sites :)

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love! I always enjoy your feedback and read each and every message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...