Friday, November 18, 2011

Grapevine Galore!

Heavy Grapevine Creates An Entry Arch (see below)

The freak, Winter storm that hit the Northeastern U.S. over Halloween weekend created quite a mess of downed trees and damaged shrubs.  One such tree was a Mulberry tree in my pasture.  Unbeknownst to me, it had a mass of grapevine throughout its upper limbs, making it top-heavy and too weak to hold the weight of the wet snow.  The tree will be greatly missed but the grapevine mess found within has been put to good use.

The bramble of branches and vine in the pasture is seen at lower left.

Some of these I have posted before but I think I'm done playing with vine for awhile.  You can see various ways I have incorporated it decoratively around the property.  Nothing like free, decorative, raw materials from nature.

A new arch for the wild Clematis to cling to next year


Branch and vine add a nice touch to this stone column entry

Quirky, organic, entry art until the holiday decor gets placed.

And my week ago project of creating an arch for a front door entry.  I created one years ago for a prior residence but from much smaller and more pliable grapevine.  This was thick and heavy-duty.  It was kind of neat to work with . . . twisting, weaving, intertwining and braiding it as best I could to form the shape.  It took me about an hour to complete.  A few pieces of jute twine are wound in certain sections to assist in holding its shape.

Miniature Christmas lights always look super strewn through grapevine
Hope your holiday decorating plans are well underway!


Sharing this idea at:

Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous

1 comment:

  1. AHHHH Grapevine, its usage is endless. I used to have it intertwined & attached over the top of a series of windows. Small white lights were added, making it look very festive, it looked amazing especially at night. It was my "FREE" organic recylced window treatments. I really liked the way it looked, much like your idea's..thanks frugal!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love! I always enjoy your feedback and read each and every message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...