Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Weeping Grapevine Tree

Many have commented on the "alternative tree" seen in the background of some of my previous posts. My Weeping grapevine tree as I like to call it, being a play on a Weeping Cherry, developed due to some leftover, "branchy" pieces of grapevine I had from the diy topiary project I completed.



I didn't want the pieces to go to waste and they "fell" so nicely when held, creating an umbrella-type shape, that the idea for a tree immediately came to mind. Now, I only had bought new colored ornaments last year for the "normal" evergreen-type indoor tree so I'm not quite sick of them yet, however this idea had to be put to use . . . especially with the abundance of grapevine utilized in new ways outdoors this year.

The Traditional Look
Last year's tree with the new green & bronze colored ornaments.

The Not-So-Traditional Look
This year's look with a whimsy, grapevine tree.  Lighter ornaments
from many years ago were reintroduced and complement the crystal decor.

I like both trees but am glad I created this grapevine version.  My initial idea (years ago) was to create a 7 -8 foot tall grapevine spiral topiary just as the ones I placed outdoors on the stone pillars. After working on those, I knew a LOT of time and patience would have to be given to creating such a monster.  I will do it eventually.  In the meantime, this alternative version was the perfect, simple solution and really became much more than I had expected.

Read the process I used to create this weeping grapevine tree.


Sharing this at:
The Shabby Creek - Transformation Thursday
The Crafty Nest - Do Something Crafty Friday

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful idea! So glad I found your site. I'm a new follower so I don't miss any great ideas. Stop by and visit and follow too if you like. Warm wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori,
    Welcome and thanks for the invite . . . will do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the creeping grapevine tree! Especially adorned with your 25 cent ornaments! Just discovered you through Kelly at Eclectically Vintage ... looking forward to exploring more in 2012 ...

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love! I always enjoy your feedback and read each and every message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...