Monday, January 23, 2012

SNOW to SURF???



Well, it's been cold and snowy here in South-Central PA. Perhaps that is why my mind has been wandering toward thoughts of warmer days. I had taken a trip to Michaels last week for some supplies. It's always amazing how I end leaving with much more than planned. Oh well . . . more project stuff I suppose.

Although very unlike me and my usual design style, I got into this "beachy" mood and motif due to my mindset and some products I purchased. I actually did have a premeditated idea of going this direction and was on the look-out for the perfect elements. In keeping with the organic appeal I desire, I purchased some burlap garland. I also found some great, decorative accents that look like the inside of sea shells. I purchased those in an appropriate "beachy" blue/green color.









A clear glass hurricane/vase was my base material to work with.

I first cut a piece of burlap garland to fit around the circumference of the vase. I used spray adhesive on the burlap and then carefully attached it to the vase. After that dried, I used some reclaimed, rusty metal pieces from leftover springs to wind around the upper and lower edge of the burlap. I love that rusty element coupled with the organic jute of the burlap.



I then began placing out the design for the front with the blue/green elements and adhered them once satisfied. To finish it off, I created a hanging charm from leftover metal scrap and attached a starfish using more elements from the springs.



A tea light shines nicely from within and looks great through the "netted" pattern of the burlap garland. I was so pleased with this project, I may make a few more for my Etsy store.



Are those of you in the colder states ready for SUN, SURF and SHORE too?


Sharing this at:
Crafts Keep Me Sane - Motivate Me Monday
Nifty Thrifty Things - Nifty Thrifty Sunday
Boogieboard Cottage - Masterpiece Monday
C.R.A.F.T. - Making Monday Marvelous
Coastal Charm - Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Sassy Sites - Trash To Treasure Tuesday
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia - Tuesday's Treasures
House of Grace - Twice Owned Tuesday
Ginger Snap Crafts - Wow Me Wednesday
Funky Junk Interiors - Party Junk

5 comments:

  1. I love this idea - the mixture of textures! I need to do something with all the beach glass I pick up!
    And although there is surf and shore here, there has not been much sun lately!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Frugal, I enjoy checking out your sites...another lovely "beachy" piece. I knew there would be more idea's coming.

    Like this one a lot, you put me in a "sunny beachy" mood on this wet/dreary day, thanks once again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that beach glass. You got that at Michaels? My bedroom is beachy themed so I'm sure I could include those in something :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helby. Yes, I got the decorative elements at Michaels. It's not really beach glass per se. I don't know what it is. LOL. The sales lady told me it is seasonal so I should stock up if I like it.

      Delete

Show me some love! I always enjoy your feedback and read each and every message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...