Monday, January 9, 2012

Level-Headed

I try to be levelheaded all of the time but sometimes things in life just seem "crooked". So, in the interest of all things "level" I decided to share my latest level-headed idea.

I'm sure your table-scapes morph often and mine seem to be changing frequently as of late. October through January produce plenty of opportunity to experiment for the seasons and holidays. However, things are getting somewhat back to normal and my kitchen table has again found a new look.


A Repurposed Level




I love old, rusty things. Farm implements, vintage hardware, tools, etc. They have authentic character that can not be reproduced or replicated by way of new decor. Due to this fact, I enjoy infusing them whenever possible. I saved two, old levels from my father's estate. One I have been using for about 6 months and it has moved a few times but has most recently claimed a spot beneath a coffee-table.


Cool, old level as a decorative element



It was the older of the two and had a bit more unique detailing. The second one has been in storage in the upper level of my garage. Every time I'm up there fetching something or placing something away, I walk past it. In doing so, I always stop for a moment, look at it and try to figure out where it can be placed or used. I finally decided to pick it up and bring it into the house. Perhaps seeing it in a new location will spark some ideas. Well, it didn't take me long to come up with the minimal, table, tea-light holder idea. I had recently removed the holiday stuff and felt like placing something there other than the old, wooden bowl filled with pods that I default to when nothing else comes to mind.

I stole three, glass, tea-light / votive holders from another arrangement stored away and the bases fit perfectly into the level's "bubble" viewers (hmmm, probably not the technical term). I may keep an eye out for three other glass votive holders that are a bit taller yet fit within the level as the current ones do.



I must say, I'm a bit in love with the simple, no-frills, streamline look 
this old tool offers in its repurposed state!



Sharing this at:

The Girl Creative - Just Something I Whipped Up
Debbiedoos - Newbie Party
DIY Home Sweet Home - More The Merrier Monday
Sugar and Spice - Drab To Fab Party
Funky Junk Interiors - Saturday Nite Special

8 comments:

  1. I would have never thought of this in a million years! It looks amazing, and now you have a custom piece. I love re-purposing the old to make it into something new. I would love for you to consider linking this up at my "Drab to Fab" party every friday over at my blog Sugar and Spice. You can read all about the link party here:
    http://www.amynjesse.com/p/drab-to-fab.html

    Really hope to see you on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @amy and jesse hudson

    Thanks for the nice comment and the invite to your link party. I will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey John! A LONG time ago, I saw that someone had made cufflinks out of the "bubble" part of the levels. I thought it was so awesome so I started collecting old levels. Seriously had no idea what to do with them (now Hubs doesn't wear dress shirts daily) but you may have given me an idea! Thanks! New follower! - L

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Drama Mama Lori

    Hi Lori. Thanks for following! The cuff-links sound interesting. Well, pull out those levels and have some creative fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Level-Headed Frugal! Nice usage for your vintage "Level". A great decorative touch for the table top + nice evening light when candles are shining brightly. Who would have thought, thanks Frugal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @NonnaG

    Yes, it looks cool at night. I had to test it out of course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for inspiring all of us at the D2F link party today! I still smile when I see this piece because I just think its so great!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love! I always enjoy your feedback and read each and every message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...